Helping You Succeed in the Australian Property Market



Apply For A First Home Buyer Duty Exemption, Concession Or Reduction


You can claim a first home concession for transfer duty when acquiring your first residence if you meet certain requirements.

The first home concession only applies to a home valued under $550,000 and can save you up to $15,925. The home concession may still apply for a home valued over $550,000.

You do not have to be an Australian citizen or permanent resident to claim a concession, but you must meet the eligibility criteria. Additional foreign acquirer duty may apply if you are a foreign person.


To be eligible for a first home concession when you buy or acquire a home, you must:

  • have never claimed the first home vacant land concession
  • have never held an interest in another residence anywhere in Australia or overseas
  • be at least 18 years of age (we explain below when we may waive this requirement)
  • move into it with your personal belongings and live there on a daily basis within 1 year of settlement (this time cannot be extended)
  • not dispose (sell, transfer, lease or otherwise grant exclusive possession) of all or part of the property before you move in
  • be paying market value if the residence is valued between $500,001 and $549,999.

To keep the benefit of the first home concession in full after you move in, you must not dispose of all or part of the property within 1 year. A partial concession may apply if you dispose within 1 year.

Use our home concession eligibility tester to find out if you are eligible to claim the home concession or first home concession.

For more information, read the public ruling on occupancy requirements for homes and first homes (DA085.1).

Two or more acquirers

Provided you qualify, you can claim a first home concession on your interest (or share), whether or not other acquirers also qualify for a first home concession or home concession.

Demolishing the home

The first home concession will not apply if you demolish the existing home without first living there, even if you construct and occupy a new home within a year.


No concession

An architect purchases an old house on a block of land. The old house will be removed so that a new house can be built. For convenience, the architect stays in the house over a weekend while he removes some fittings. He plans to continue living in a leased apartment while the new house is built.

The architect is unable to claim the home concession as he didn’t make the house his principal place of residence before demolishing it.


A couple buys a house, moves in and lives there after enrolling their child in a local day care centre. They update their electoral roll, driver licence and myGov details. After living there continuously for 3 months, they decide to rebuild. They move out and arrange for the house to be demolished.

They have resided in the property and made it their principal place of residence. Provided they do not sell, transfer, lease or otherwise grant exclusive possession within the first year of occupying the property, they are able to retain the full benefit of the concession even though the original house was demolished.

 Existing tenants or previous owners

Any existing tenants must move out when their lease expires or within 6 months of settlement, whichever is the earlier, for you to stay eligible for the concession. Previous owners who continue to stay in the property must also move out within 6 months.

How much will you pay

You can use the transfer duty estimator or rates for home concessions to find out how much duty you may have to pay when you buy your home.

The first home concession is calculated at the home concession rate minus the first home concession amount.

If the home is valued at $500,000 or under, the first home concession amount will match the home concession rate, resulting in no duty payable.

The concession doesn’t apply to any part of the land that’s used for non-residential purposes. Read the public ruling on the residential purposes for the transfer duty concession for homes and first homes (DA087.1).

If there’s a non-residential part of the land, use the transfer duty calculator to check the amount you will pay.

Calculation examples

​Home value​Duty payable​Calculation
​$450,000​$0.00​No duty payable because the value of the residence is under $500,000.
​$530,000​$6,300.00​The home concession reduces the duty to $9,800. As the first home is valued between $530,000 and $534,999.99, a further concession of $3,500 applies.
​$600,000​$12,850.00​Only the home concession applies because the value of the residence is over $550,000.

How to claim

Complete the following forms and include them with your contract, and valuation (if required), when lodging them for stamping:

For help completing the Title Queensland forms, read Land Title Practice Manual: Part 1—Transfer (PDF, 450KB) and the guide to completing Form 24 (PDF, 221KB).

When lodging documents, make sure you include a covering letter with your name, address and details of what you have lodged. If you also give us an email address or mobile number, we will confirm when we’ve received your documents.

Find out more about lodging and stamping your documents.

18 years of age requirement

To claim a first home concession as a minor, you need to apply to us first so we can determine if we should make an exception to the age requirement.

Minors can only claim a first home concession if we are satisfied that the transaction is not part of a scheme to avoid transfer duty.

We will consider the following factors on a case-by-case basis:

  • your age
  • the way in which the first home purchase agreement is structured
  • the reason for the purchase
  • the living arrangements for you and your family
  • the family arrangements generally
  • whether the funds to purchase the home were independently sourced.

If you are not eligible for the first home concession, you may still be eligible to claim a home concession that has no age restrictions and does not require pre-approval.

Claiming after the transfer

If you’re unsure that you meet the concession requirements, you can pay duty at the full rate when your documents are assessed and then claim the concession later if you have met, or will meet, the requirements. You just need to lodge the forms and documents with us.

You can also do this if you didn’t claim a concession when you acquired the home because you weren’t going to occupy it, but then you decide to move in.

In either case, we will reassess your duty at the concessional rate and refund the balance of your original payment. Find out about applying for a reassessment

Obligations after you claim

You must notify us by completing a notice for reassessment (Form D2.4) (also available as a PDF), if you:

  • don’t move into the residence within 1 year of settlement
  • dispose of the residence before moving in, or within 1 year of moving in
  • demolish the existing home without first living there.

Read more about common reasons for reassessment to find out about a reassessment of your transfer duty concession and what documents you need to lodge.

After a reassessment, you may have to pay a transfer duty liability. You may also have to pay unpaid tax interest and penalty tax, depending on your circumstances.

Last updated: 2 August 2021


Luxury Homes Australia have assisted our clients to use property as a vehicle to create substantial wealth. Insightful well-managed property investment provides ongoing income, capital growth and tax advantages.


Mobile: 0409 255 072
Office 1300 680 690


Level 13/50 Cavill Ave.
Surfers Paradise QLD 4217


With over 10 years of Property Market Intelligence and Experience we empower First Home Buyers and Property Investors to buy their Property with Knowledge


Join our mailing list to keep informed of the available luxury homes, latest property investment and development opportunities in Australia

With 10 years of experience and working with many Developers all over Australia. Luxury Homes Australia knows how to help you to succeed in the property market.


Mobile: 0409 255 072   Office 1300 680 690
Level 13/50 Cavill Ave. Surfers Paradise QLD 4217

English English French French
Call Now